Sunday, August 26, 2012

Travel not likely at this time

One step forward and two steps back seems to be the theme of international adoption. Knowing this is common for all who pursue this route helps keep me sane. I've learned to be skeptical when I think I've heard good news. Our possible trip may not happen right now, because our agency doesn't feel a meeting with the Committee will be productive at this time. Our lawyer who we were asked to hire thinks otherwise. Now what? I don't want to do something rash, but Josh and I don't want to jeopardize the progress our lawyer has made this summer. Our agency thinks it is more a matter of adopting children with US families than it is a personal one.

If I could ask for specific prayer it would be this: that a meeting would be formed very soon between our agency and the Head of the Ministry in Estonia. That she would travel here because that would allow us easier travel to go and meet with her. That they will start working together as a team, just as things were with the former Head of the Ministry, who we met with in January.

On another note, we've been reading a great book called, Parenting Your Internationally Adopted Child, by Patty Cogen. I can't believe the way it's opened my eyes and changed my mind set towards post adoption. For example: it gives ideas on the "three-photo story journey" to teaching identity, why holidays and "Gotcha" day can be especially confusing and difficult for an adopted child, etc. It hasn't scared me out of adoption, but it's opened my eyes to the realities of attachment...that we may work for years just to build small things like the eye-contact/connection a birth mother and child form in a matter of days or months. That we will have to do all the activities and games mentioned in the book x 3. We will have to be sooo intentional about the time we spend with each child doing these bonding activities. It's no wonder they recommend staying at home with your child for a year, which is something we plan to do...some how. This book has been a great resource to help prepare us for what we can do starting Day One of adoption. It has made me feel that although it will be exhausting and difficult, it is still something we really want, and more importantly that we will be able to do it (with the support we working on having in place). I'm glad I have been reading this book. I'm not even finished with it yet, and I'm sure I will be reading it over and over. Thank you for the recommendation, Janie! :)


I think the ideas in this book are great for any parent to read. It has great reviews on how it's helped many families. You don't have to be adopting internationally. If you are looking for a way to support a friend or family member, I would suggest reading this book along with them. I can't put enough value on the idea of having a friend who understands this side of adoption.

No comments:

Post a Comment