Sunday, April 22, 2012

Chapter 1: Hope and Healing

Dare I open the stack of dvd's and new adoption books that came in the mail?  (Thank you SHOWHOPE-  everyone who applies for a grant has the option to order a load of adoption resources for free).  Well, after weeks of looking at them and worrying that they'll only upset me in our present situation, I decided to open the study guide, "Created to Connect." It's a spin-off of Karyn Purvis' The Connected Child, a wonderful book that has even helped me in the classroom. The first article was all about HOPE. If you have adopted and haven't read this study guide I would suggest it.  It has discussion questions for small groups, too. I'm just going to quote the first paragraph, which is really for post-adoption, but still helped me today.

"Hope.  It's a little word with lots of different meanings at that.  Hope is something everyone wants and certainly needs. Without hope, there is little reason to go on, as in the saying that signals the bitter end- "when all hope is lost." With hope and for hope people persevere and do extraordinary things, even though it may seem to some that the situation is "beyond all hope." And when hope merely proves to be "false hope" or hope seemingly fails, it can be discouraging and at times even devastating.  The question is not whether hope is important in our lives, but rather what exactly is hope and how can we find it."

I sure did need that today.  Thank you, Dr. Purvis and M&A Monroe.

No comments:

Post a Comment